top of page

George Clarence

Updated: Feb 15, 2021

George Clarence "Bugs" Moran

Two gangsters, one territory, and an abundance of bloodshed; this was the life of Bugs Moran.

Born: August 21, 1893, Saint Paul, Minnesota Died: February 25, 1957, United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas Birthname: Adelard Leo Cunin

Nicknames: Bugs Associates: Dean O'Banion, Hymie Weiss, Hymie Weiss

George Clarence "Bugs" Moran was born as Adelard Leo Cunin on August 21st, 1893, in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Moran ran away from home at the age of 19 and fled to Chicago. His career as a bootlegger and mobster was beginning as he was arrested three times before turning 21. After running away to Chicago, Maron joined the North Side Gang lead by his mentor and eventual close friend, Dean O'Banion. O'Banion was in bootlegging and operated with little violence until the Gennas gang began to occupy his territory.

Gennas and O'Banion eventually came to a resolution on the turf dispute through their familiar allies Johnny Torrio and Al "Scarface" Capone. However, O'Banion was unwilling to let it slide and began hijacking and selling Gennas's alcohol.

Moreover, O'Banion set up a police raid that would put Torrio in danger of going to jail which deeply upset Capone. Capone and his gang passed a vote to kill O'Banion, and he was assassinated on November 10th, 1924.

Maron became overwhelmingly angry with Capone after the death of O'Banion. He was hell-bent on striking down the man that took his friend and mentored away from him. A turf war quickly ensued, causing several deaths between the two gangs. Moran would attempt two hits on Capone's life, both of which Capone would survive; however, these attacks on his life scared Capone enough to call for a truce. This truce would not last very long, and Moran's good friend, Hymie Weiss, would be assassinated on Capone's command.

Moran and Capone would make another truce, but similar to the last one, it would only end in bloodshed. Both sides would sabotage one another's businesses and shipments. Blood would be

spilled, including Capone's close friends Pasqualino Lolordo and Antonio Lombardo. Capone would finally attempt to conclude the war with a final blow to Maron and his men.

On February 14th, 1929, Capone set in motion the infamous Saint Valentine's Day massacre. Capone's hitmen would execute a total of seven North Side gang members via firing squad in a garage near Lincoln Park. Two of the killers were dressed in police uniforms and drove a police car. Maron was meant to be part of the assassination, but lucky was late to the meeting due to his tardiness; he saw the police cruiser before entering the building. Maron thought it to be a police raid, so he turned back and walked away from the scene.

The turf war between the North Side Gang and the South Side Gang would continue until Prohibition in 1933. After some time, Moran would leave the Chicago area, and Capone would be convicted of tax evasion. Moran was arrested for mail fraud in 1939, serving five years before being released in 1944.

Not even two years later, Maron would be charged again for his involvement in a local tavern robbery in Ohio. He would be given 20 years in prison but only serve 11 with parole. Maron would be arrested once more for his involvement with a bank robbery. He was sentenced to 10 years in 1957 and would pass away in prison due to lung cancer on February 25th, 1957.

203 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page